A uniform is not just a piece of wardrobe that you wear. It represents the organization you belong to, whether it is a school, a brand, company, or a sport. In cheerleading, uniforms embody your attitude, charisma, and team spirit. It also gives the judges and audience a view of what your performance will be. Having an eye-catching uniform during competition is a plus point, and so is following the cheer event protocols. You don’t want to sacrifice the quality of your performance over your uniform’s appearance.
General Rules in Cheerleading Competition Uniforms
Every cheerleading category and level has its own regulations. According to the National Federation of High School Associations (NFHS), cheer uniform tops must cover the midriff while arms are at the sides. Small amounts of mid-section showing during movements will not violate rules. Tops should be waist-length, covering the entire frontal area of the body. Sleeveless shirts that show shoulders and arms are allowed. The back construction should cover the upper body, and if the lower back shows while sitting and bending during the performance, it will not cause any point deduction. Cheer skirt lengths are generally 12 to 14 inches while cheer briefs must be worn under the skirts. Adding manufacturer and school logos on skirts are also allowed.
For college cheerleading level, all forms of uniforms must be appropriate and should not be sexually provocative garments. It should be secure to prevent wardrobe malfunctions. Though in some States, they have a different set of regulations to follow that’s why it's important to check their rules as it varies.
Choosing the Best Cheer Uniform without sacrificing Modesty
There are a lot of factors to consider when you are deciding on what your uniform will be. While it should represent your team, it’s important to note that it should not interfere with your performance especially when doing stunts. The rules and regulations of the competition you will be joining matters. With that being said, here are some helpful points that you can consider in order to make the right choice.
1. List the objectives that you want your uniform to signify. It can be the school's vision or mission, mascot, your squad’s banner, or your team’s motto.
2. Research about the uniform decorum of the competition before deciding on how your uniform looks. It should follow the correct length, sizing, and the allowed designs.
3. Visualize your wardrobe while doing your performance. You should think about how playful the colors will look, the cuts, design placement, and ask yourself “Would it be easy to move when wearing it?". You can look “astonishing” without sacrificing your comfort.
4. Nobody likes being called a "copycat. Make sure that your uniform is unique and is different from the other teams. This will help you stand out from the crowd!
5. Always be mindful of your team’s budget.
6. Never compromise the quality of your clothing. You have to decide what fabric to use and what materials you want on your uniforms.
If you’re looking for cheer uniforms that have stunning design but also prioritize your modesty, we got you! Victory Cheer Uniforms fully support competition rules while keeping the “Wow” factor in your clothing attire.
We have full length tops and competition shorts that are within the allowed length of organizations. We also offer skirts that have built-in-briefs or shorts so that you can perform your stunts without worrying about wardrobe malfunctions.
Victory Cheer Uniforms strives in making your perfect uniform come to life that’s why we offer high quality fabrics. We have traditional high poly content fabric (280 - 300 gsm), a form fitting, breathable poly/ spandex blend (270 gsm), metallic fabrics, or if you want crop top uniforms but your organization doesn’t allow to show too much skin, we can cover your midriff with mesh fabrics or convert it to full length top. We also have extended the inseam length of compression shorts to ensure modest coverage and a comfortable feel while your team is tumbling, stunting and jumping.
Need to stay within your team’s budget? We offer low-cost deals and promotions to help you achieve your uniform design without compromising your team’s expense. Get a free art concept together with a quote for your team now by contacting your VCU Representative! Send us an email at INFO@VictoryCheerUniforms.com or you can call us at 888-551-2227.
Let’s get your cheer uniforms started now!